Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Sweet Goodbye?

Indeed, goodbyes are the saddest moments of our life. Most of us bid goodbyes before someome will leave us behind.

This story aint unusual. We heard stories about friendship & love. Most are beyond reality but some seems to be real. Some ends up like a fairytale do, but some are not.

I've met this guy when i was in my freshman year in college. I am taking up Accountancy then, and he was an Education student. We shared a room in a boarding house nearby the University.
Our friendship grew deeper and deeper each day Despite the differences in our views and opinions. We're almost brothers then. "Partners in crime" as they called us.
That school year ended packed with memories of our friendship. But every beginnings must come to a temporary ending... I have to leave the school for a university nearer to our province then. As i bid farewell to him that moment, tears flowed from my eyes. I want time to be frozen then.

But as i leave our boarding house, we have uttered a covenant that we will be forever bestfriends. With that promise kept in my heart, i moved on and pushed through with my studies. We constantly communicating then (i credit a lot to TECHNOLOGY). Exchanging corny text messages, spending call cards to talk over mobile phones, and a home visit once in a while until.

Those things remains constant. I am overwhelmed by our friendship then, because it doesnt care about time and distance. Not until we have reached our senior years, I get busy with my studies and my extra curricular activities and likewise in his end. Communication then almost died.

As graduation approaches, i received a call... wow! its my bestfriend... asking me to meet him in a Mall near my university. I cant explain the feeling i have then.
We spent the whole day together, sharing plans and casting visions after we have finished our studies. We even planned of sharing a place together in the metro. But in reality, its not that easy.

I have to work in our province initially and he has to in his place as well. He has to take care of his sick dad thats why... In separated by distance again.
After a period of time I decided to work here in the metro, and he' still working in his hometown. I constantly making a way to convinced him to move here in the city with me because of the greater opportunity that awaits him. But he cannot just leave his family.

Now, years have passed and still i haven't seen him just for once. Until i received a call from my bestfriend but this time, it was an international call...
We are not just separated by merely distance, but by oceans. He's working abroad for almost a year now, and he has a two-year contract there. So i planned to work abroad too. When i have my job application approved and just waiting for my VISA, he informed me that he will be going home immediately... wow!

WHATS THIS! are we played by destiny... God knows how i miss my bestfriend that much... But i cant really understand that by some twists of fate, we cannot be together. What happened to the covenant of friendship?

Well, thats it... anyway friendship know no time and distance. Its always in the heart.
But...

The saddest part of the story is that MY BESTFRIEND will be home for his wedding, and i am his BESTMAN.

I am happy for him, though it means suppression of the feelings for him i have kept for years.

No comments: